If you run a non-profit that relies on a gala to generate donations – you know how important these events can be to your organization’s bottom line. The main purpose of these functions is to raise money. Invitations are being sent to your biggest current and potential donors. The invitation is important – don’t skimp on the design.
So what should you keep in mind when designing an invitation your guests will love?
- Come up with a theme for the event. A theme can help add structure to the invitation design and décor, tying everything neatly together. You can add a tagline to underscore the theme or connect it to your mission. Warning: don’t get too crazy – invitations that are overly thematic can end up looking unsophisticated and cheap. (do we want to show some samples here of our work – photo and theme)
- Don’t underestimate the power of paper. You can really elevate your invitation design when you incorporate a different type of paper or use foils to accent colors. Kraft, translucent or ribbed paper can all add a little something special to the design. If you want to push it even further try neon or thermochromic ink.
- Keep it clean. If the design is getting too cluttered with copy consider an insert for certain information. Sponsor logos work well as an insert, which can be printed separately allowing for last minute sign ups.
The only thing quite as important as the invitation is the timing for it and all the other materials you will need for the event. Here’s a simple snap shot to keep you on track:
- Determine your RSVP date
- Invitations should be mailed out 6-8 weeks earlier
- Schedule 2 weeks for printing
- Estimate 3 weeks for invitation design including client revisions
Finally, carry your invitation design through all of the materials for the event. Having consistent visuals and messaging unify communications and make for a polished and well-organized event. Need a comprehensive list of all the items you may need branded for your event? Here you go:
- Save-the-date (print and/or digital)
- Social media artwork
- Event signage
- Power point slides
- Auction item signs
- Sponsor boards
- Directional signs
- Seating cards
- Table tents
A well-designed invitation can increase attendance and boost excitement for your event so make sure you give it the attention it deserves. Good design sells. Need help with the design for your next event? Give us a call.